CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tresy Kilbourne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 22:19:05 -0800
Here's the source of my info about the BCM.
----------
From: [log in to unmask] (Jym Dyer)
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 14:00:33 -0500 (EST)
To: [log in to unmask] (Il Potsino)
Subject: "Are You Like, One Of Those Gnarly Black Clad Messenger Dudes?"

=o= Part of the "Black Bloc" who smashed up Starbuckses in
Seattle went by the name of "Black Clad Messengers."  I
presume this was Thurn und Taxis, and indeed there are all
sorts of conspiracy theories floating around about them.
I've been implicated in one of these theories, I think.  (Not
to worry, I'll never reveal the secrets or the email address
of The Trystero!)

=o= You see, I'm an urban eco-cyclist.  I get around the city by
bike, and a lot of people think I'm a bike messenger (real bike
messengers don't, of course).

=o= I've also been wearing a lot of black lately.  It's not a
post-WTO anarchy fashion victim thing (_Newsweek_:  They're hip!
They're hot!  They're anarchists!  Where did they come from?);
it's just a practical wardrobe for somebody who spends a lot of
time biking.  Plus, I've been wearing my black cold-weather
coat, plus my black messenger bag for wet weather, plus my black
vest because it's been freakin' cold lately,

=o= So now people are stopping me and asking me whether I'm one
of those Black Clad Messengers.  Apparently a lot of people in
San Francisco think the BCM are bike messengers.

=o= Perhaps I should switch to pastels until this thing blows
over.
    <_Jym_>

P.S.:  _Time_ is even better than _Newsweek_:

       ANARCHY IN SEATTLE
       OUR 1999 ONLINE SHOPPING GUIDE