Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 14:09:14 +0800
7bit
From:
Vincent Lim <[log in to unmask]>
Hi,

> 1.)Is the Netware Server redundant?  Can't Win NT be installed on top
of
> UNIX?

No, Windows NT cannot be installed on top of UNIX.  For more information
on
UNIX, please go to the local computer bookstaore, they should carry a
good
selection of books on UNIX.

> 2.) Has anyone used x-windows? Is it user friendly? (I have a lot of
> non-typing computer phobes to train who know only how to point and
> click...if it won't use up too many network resources I would just as
soon
> give them a GUI (We can't afford to give them all updated machines at
this
> point so Win95 is really not an option yet)

X-Windows is a bit like Windows 95/NT in the sense that Windows 95/NT
is a bit
like Mac.  They all provide point and click interfaces but there are
differences in the interface behavior and the applications that comes
with the
platform.
Also, there are major difference in the way X-Windows is run.  What your
users
will see is the X-client which just put out the display and receive the
keyboard/mouse input.  The processing is all done by the X-server which
typically reside on the UNIX server.  This is unlike WIndows 95/NT,
which runs
everything on the local machines.
Aa to the resource constraint, you have to cbe more explicit on your
hardware.
What type machine is your UNIX running on, ie mflops, memory, IO?  What
type of
network do you have. ie token-ring, ethernet 10Mbps, 100MBps?

> 3.) The Wyse50 Terminals have been terribly unreliable and the
monitors
> integrated in them are very poor quality (or is it the card inside??)
Anyone
> have any familiarity with these workstations and/or any knowledge of
ways to
> improve their performance?   Would I do as well to throw together
several
> 386 machines with NICS and mono adapters....how much more in Network
> resources would VGA monitors use?? With VGA I could give them terminal

> emulators that would look "prettier" and less imposing.
> Anyone know any URL's where there is information about these terminals
and
> how to improve them??

The WYSE terminals are legacy of the mini-computers age.  They are the
equivalent of the network computer tout by Oracle, Sun and company.  As
such,
the machines contains nothing but a bit of memory, for bootup and local
cache.
Some I/O card for communicating with a server, a mono card to display to
the
terminal and a keyboard to accept input.  I doubt you can improve their
performance without incurring significant cost, although please check
with your
supplier.

Your idea of throwing 386 with mono cards will work.  However, VGA card
do not
consume network resources.  But you will have to get some telnet
software for
your users to connect to the server.  Which bring us to your last point,
yes,
you can get prettier looking UI if you buy your users some
"screen-scraper"
software.

Until next time.
--
Lim Wei Siong Vincent
Software Resource Engineer

Singapore Software Center - Global Software Division
Motorola Electronics Pte Ltd
Tel : 65 - 486 7657 Fax : 65 - 481 6997
Email : [log in to unmask]

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html