BLIND-DEV Archives

Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI

BLIND-DEV@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Flasar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BLIND-DEV: Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 18:35:04 EDT
Hi,
    I've been involved in clinical reserach mentoring for 12 years now, which
involves a great deal of computer use and managment.  6 years ago, I began
losing my central vision.  though I will never be completely blind (at least
from the retinal problem I have now) - I will never regain my central vision,
either.  I use JAWS for Windows as a screen reader and have worked w/ OCRs,
use RFBD books and have been investigating random access documentation for
programs like SAS and SPSS.
   However, web pages have me stymied.  I know the basics of HTML but editing
a file and putting in all those tags is cumbersome.  I'd like to find a good
path for me to learn to create web pages (yes, accessible web pages) for my
users to download protocols for data submission and the use of statistical
programs, the processses used in the data gathering, analysis and reporting
phase.  I also want to create a web page for clinical researchers who want to
recuit disabled patients for their clinical trials - necssitating that their
documentation for the studies are accessbile to everyone and how to share
solutions to problems that might occur for these indivdiuals in the conduct
of the experimnent (for example, people w/ severe arthritis have problems
using mice to click answers on a data intake screen - keyboard commands and
careful intake screen design can anticiipate those problems).

      I've got operating systems, the basics of the internet and email down,
understand most software but I'm really slowed down in learning *new*
things,like web page design and creatoin.  What package do you use, what
would you reccommend for me to obatain to get started.
    I just got back from the "Technology and Persons w/ Disabilities"
conference in LA and it was an amazing, humbling, inspiring experience.  I'm
ready to get out of my slump and get with the spirit of those amazing people
I met there.
Thanks,
  Daniel R. Flasar
  Informatics Core Director