BLIND-DEV Archives

Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI

BLIND-DEV@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jim Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BLIND-DEV: Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 08:27:45 -0600
The IBM Accessibility Center (formerly IBM Special Needs Systems) has
developed a set of IBM Accessibility Guidelines, one each for software, the
Web, Lotus Notes, hardware and Java. See
http://www.austin.ibm.com/sns/guidelines.htm. Each guideline contains
checklists and links to rationale, techniques for implementation and
methods for testing compliance. They have short sections on related
subjects, for example, screen readers and the Microsoft Object Inspector
tool for MSAA in the Software Accessibility Guideline,  and Home Page
Reader and Bobby in the Web Accessibility Guideline.

These documents were prepared for IBM developers who need to understand
what they must do to make their products accessible.  All the guidelines
include extensive references to related documents, such as the Web Content
Accessibility Guidelines published by the W3C Web Accessibility Initiative
and Windows Accessibility Guidelines published by Microsoft.

This is the first release of the expanded IBM Accessibility Guidelines
which we expect to update periodically. We would be grateful to have your
comments. Please send those comments and suggestions directly to me,
[log in to unmask], or Shannon Rapuano, [log in to unmask]

Jim Thatcher
IBM Accessibility Center
www.ibm.com/sns
IBM-HPR Subscribe at [log in to unmask] with subscribe ibm-hpr
(512)838-0432