RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tiina Makela <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Sep 1996 21:26:37 +0300 (EET DST)
Hello Christian,
>Actually, what do you have there in winter (besides imported
>things)? I live here in the warmth part of germany and find it not
>such a big fun to be 100% raw in winter. In February,  I have had
>enough of carrots, cabbage, topinambur, apples and walnuts and
>craved for fresh greens. Please tell us about available foods in
>Finland.

What is topinambur?

Actually not so much in winter besides imported things:
In February there`s no fresh finnish apples available (I suppose
finnish apples won`t keep till January, but I`m not sure),
no finnish cabbage (except fermented), no cauliflower, tomatoes,
or cucumber. Root crops, yes; carrot, turnip, rutabaga, beetroot,
potato (eat small amounts with other grated root crops).
There`s available fresh finnish greenhouse sallads and herbs,
and mushrooms also in groceries all year round; that`s great.
Cereals, yes; oats (I eat rolled), wheat (sprouted, fermented
and wheat grass juice; not sure if all organic wheat I buy is
finnish), rye, barley. My freezer is full of berries (strawberry,
cloudberry, blueberry, raspberry, currants, lingonberry; it`s
also possible to pick cranberries late in the autumn but I never
have). My problem is to get organic foods; sometimes it`s easiest
to buy direct from farmers.

Of course there`s a lot imported I eat:
- peppers, broccoli (sometimes I get finnish broccoli in summer)
- fruits: banana, avocado, citrus fruits, ananas, watermelon,
 ... what else- buckwheat, millet, sunflower and sesame seeds,
figs, all the nuts, raisins, sea weeds

I grow inside: wheat grass, buckwheat and sunflower greens,
sprouts (mostly alfalfa, lentil, mung bean, wheat).

I write this in a rush; did I forget something?

BTW. It`s funny and above all strange, but summer is always the
most difficult time for me to stay on a raw diet. When it is warm,
it seems I need warm foods. That doesn`t make any sense, does it?
Any ideas? That`s why I always wonder people asking me if it`s
hard to cope with winter on a raw vegan diet this far north
because of cold.
(Right now my diet consists of about 70% raw food items, but
my goal is - again - all raw in winter).

Sorry for my English.

Love,
Tiina