RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask], 09 Jan 1997 18:55:43 -0600564_- Hi Everyone,

I am new to the list or maybe I am back. Can't remember if I was here
before. Oh, well I just turned 39 and my mind is slipping away.........

I was reading through the "God's Way to Ultimate Health and Other Stuff"
posts and found them to be very encouraging. Actually they seem
unbelievable. I currently am a vegetarian who smokes, drinky and
will be made available for anon ftp in the veg-raw archives.

Also, I have included a review of raw food recipe books in
the archive as well, which references some of these resources.
The recipe book review was kind of large, so instead of
posting it to the list, it can retrieved from the archives. [...]47_31May199500:17:07-0400(EDT)[log in to unmask] 9505 1136 56 22_Re: Tips for Beginners18_Thomas E. [log in to unmask], 31 May 1995 08:55:17 -0700631_- In two recent posts, [log in to unmask] asks several questions
on sprouting. I will address some of these in the following.

* re: using commercial sprouter, tray type. Uneven sprouting can occur with
these sprouters and pre-soaking the seed is a good idea for the reason you
specified - even soaking yields more even sprouting.

* re: growing large amounts of sprouts. First I would note that you are growing
sprouts for 3-5 days, so they are relatively long. You can eat sprouts when they
are short, and that is an easier approach. Now, to your question: Ann Wigmore
suggests using 7-10 [...]43_31May199508:55:[log in to unmask] 9505 1193 75 45_Re: Staying on raw foods/avoiding backsliding14_David R. [log in to unmask], 1 Jun 1995 05:18:13 -0400 (EDT)588_- In a recent post to veg-raw by "Thomas E. Billings" <[log in to unmask]>

> Following a raw or living foods diet can be difficult, given the
> general stress of living in modern times, and the prevalence of junk
> food and cooked food. One is often tempted to take the path of least
> resistance, which is usually junk or processed foods. Additionally,
> raw and living foods are cleansing diets, which means the body is
> slowly cleansing itself of toxins, which can cause cravings for bad
> foods previously eaten. [...]46_1Jun199505:18:13-0400(EDT)[log in to unmask] 9505 1269 13 13_Acid/alkaline14_Pierre [log in to unmask], 1 Jun 1995 12:46:50 -0400 (EDT)305_- Hello Everyone,

I kept a few postings from "misc.health.alternative" and would like
to know if people in this list feel concerned about the acid/alkaline
balance. Acually, my first impression is that a raw food vegan diet
is rather alkaline, which is good.

Any comments?51_1Jun199512:46:50-0400(EDT)[log in to unmask] 9505 1283 49 13_Acid/Alkaline15_Henry [log in to unmask], 25 May 1995 10:30:28 GMT349_- | As long as Americans entertain themselves via their esophagus; eating for
| pleasure rather than nourishment, pathology will thrive. About 95% of human
| ailments are from the so-called food we ingest. Most of that food is
| acid-forming in nature. Refreshing your memory about acid/alkaline foods, here
| are some quick facts: [...]45_25May199510:30:[log in to unmask] 9505 1333 30 17_Re: Acid/Alkaline14_Sandra [log in to unmask] May 1995 11:22:48 GMT410_- | In <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] (Henry
| Kelcinski) writes:

| >When acid stomach arises the body uses its reserves of alkalis. When these are
| >exhausted it robs itself of calcium, potassium, sodium, magnesium and iron,
| >etc., from its bones in order to neutralize the acids. This results in
| >osteoporosis of the bones and teeth. [...][log in to unmask] 9505 1364 16 17_Re: Acid/Alkaline13_Tom Cigolotti20_cigolott@nbne
Date:
Tue, 30 May 95 15:38:09 SET
OK, now I am ready to eat sprouts by the bucket and want to know how.
I do already eat greens-only, lettuce-free salads in a bowl that, when
we have people at home, serves ten, so I think I am not scared by the
idea. But:

- grain sprouts are very tough to chew. Do I limit myself to sprouted
  beans? With the exception of wheat, they can even be somewhat bitter.
  Do the pros follow the basic tenets of vegetarian nutrition when
  eating sprouted food (ie, mostly grains, with a bit of pulses)?

- with few exceptions, pulses skins cannot be easily eliminated. They are,
  I believe, what gives people gas, and now they are not even cooked.
  What do you do?

- I assume radish and mustard work best in mixture with other sprouts,
  giving spice to the whole dish. I do prepare lentil, soy, radish
  sprouts salads. Any other idea?

- what is your typical range of living food (and of sprouts in particular)
  in percentage of calories? Which care should one take (like in
  vegetarianism, where golden rules say you should eat mostly whole
  grains, and some superveggies and pulses every day)?
  Staples you recommend?

- I have seen for myself that sprouts are, in small quantities,
  very digestible and make the rest of the meal more digestible
  as well. I am sure it is because of the enzymes. Comments?

- Which vitamins typically increase in concentration when going
  from seed to sprout? By how much, typically?

G.B.