BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Met History <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 12:20:11 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes of her trip to England:

<<Thanks for the tip! Any further suggestions? I've got two weeks scheduled,
 and one week yet to be determined. >>

I was astonished by:

-the cruddiness of the subways

-the huge amount of art deco/moderne interwar building

-how intact the city of Bath was; I know there was a lot of downtown
destruction for highways and stuff, but I mean the individual buildings in
the terraces - no AC outlets, no plate glass, no ripped-off parapets, no
cheesy siding - I am not clear on when facade controls came in, but it can't
have been so early that it accounts for how unchanged the terraces are -
there must be a cultural component

-examine Raymond Hood's polished black granite Radiator Building, 1930, a few
blocks west of the British Museum

-London phone booths are awash, sinking even, in porno flyers

-the "bog man" at the British Museum - absolutely astounding

Signed,  Fan of Bog Man