RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Wes Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 02:24:24 -0500
Here's an update from the person who wrote the original message about the
irradiation of USPS packages:

***

Since my e-mail this morning, several people have called 1-800-ASK-USPS
to check on whether the US Postal Service is indeed irradiating all
packages sent within the USA.

When I called that number earlier today, I was specifically told that
all packages were irradiated now, not simply those going to certain zip
codes such as government offices in Washington DC. Having my doubts, I
asked the person I spoke to whether or not it was only certain zip codes
and was assured that it was all packages.

However, several people have called that number since then and have been
told that this information is false, and that it is only packages going
to certain zip codes (20002 through 20005) that are being irradiated.

One person told me they had spoken to a company called American
Botanical Pharmacy who said that they had it in writing from the USPS
that it was only packages to certain zip codes that were being
irradiated.

Given the extreme expense of irradiating all packages within the USA, I
am inclined at this point to believe that perhaps it is only certain zip
codes that are getting zapped. I'd still probably suggest shipping by
other means if you have any doubts yourself in this matter. Those of you
who have recently received items such as supplements via USPS may wish
to call the above number yourself for clarification.