RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 01:21:58 +0100
Hi Susan,

Susan Carmack wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am on the Paleo list and this one and I enjoy them both!
>
> For this reason I am ambivalent about raw milk. On one hand, I have been
> feeling GREAT eating meat, vegetables, fruit, nuts and seeds all raw.
> On the other hand I found a cow so I have been drinking raw milk and butter
> and whipping cream.

There are people who also feel great after eating chocolate, after
drinking coffee or alcohol, or even after taking crack. Feelin great is
totally subjective and does not necessarily have anything to do with
feeling healthy or even being healthy. ;-)

I have not suffered any symptoms of lactose intolerance or casein problems
that are obvious.

In other words you are one of those people who still suffer inside but
don't notice it that much. Neverthess you are still wasting valuable
digestive energy which could be put to better use on the excretion
side.

> However today I have a really bad
> cold. The last time I got sick it was shortly before I discovered that I
> was allergic to grainfed cowmeat.

The problem with "cowmeat" (beef?) is that not only may the cow or
bull be grainfed, but also given a few antibiotics and even growth
hormones (the relatively steep increase in the height of children over the
past two decades is attributed to this very source). Cows (even those
on organic farms) which are kept in climates where they need to be
wintered over in barns are always fed grains, as hay is just not
enough for them under such unnatural conditions..and not even enough
for them under natural conditions BTW).

> Does this cold indicate that my immune system is faulty due to the dairy or
> do we still get colds even when we are eating an optimum diet?

I'm 51, have been eating vegetarian for the past 10 years or so and
raw vegetarian for about the past three years. The past year and
a half I have been getting around 4 colds each year (mostly in the
spring and autumn/fall and never lasting more than 24 hours). Before
that I used to cycle to work (I now live too far away and MUST
drive) in all weathers and hardly ever used to get a cold at all.
This indicates to me that food is not the only answer to a near
perfect immune system. Exercise, fresh air, sunshine, love,
happiness and peace of mind are equally important in my view.

All the best to you too!

Alan