RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 1997 14:31:22 -0800
>I appreciate the dialog that the two of you are having regarding my
>concerns. I joined the group several weeks ago and was discouraged at
>first at all the mud slinging on the list plus the fact that noone
>seemed to take much interest in my sincere (re)exploration of raw
>foods.

Getting four people respond to your post is quite a lot. Makes me
envious.;-)

>In the next week or so I'll post a well thought out document of my
>symptoms, current diet, future diet and other questions. Hopefully we
>can all dialogue on that.

I look forward to reading it.

>I self-test fairly high on several candida checklists. I'm not doing
>any fruit for now. Does anyone have experience with the herb stevia or
>with licorice? Is a discussion of herbs outside of the realm of raw
>foods?

On the contrary it is welcome. I have no experience with either
licorice or stevia.

>Actually, the Zone doesn't prescribe a percent of calories from
>protein but rather a fixed amount based on lean body mass and activity
>level. The Zone tells me to eat 112 grams per day of protein.

As I undestand it the figure that you have reached above is based on
protein percentage of about 30. 112 times 4 calories = 448cal = 30%.
Total calories = 1490 calories. Do these figures compute?

>That's way too much unless I eat meat/dairy/tofu and I'm not
>interested in that much protein anyway if my
>body doesn't need it and if it hurts my body to process/get rid of it.

I personally believe that the alleged dangers of getting too much
protein largely are unfounded - especially on a low-calorie diet like
the zone.

>What I'm doing for now is an anti-candida diet and slow herbal cleanse
>while eating a fair amount of raw foods, some steamed veggies and a
>bit of chicken and fish.

Sounds like a very sensible diet to me. Candida and blood sugar
problems can be quite tricky to deal with.

Best, Peter