From:
Ken Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 10:20:15 -0600
Gatsby,

Costochondritis is a nasty little condition where the intercostal
cartilage (the cartilage that connects the ribs to each other)
becomes inflamed and painful.  I had one particular place that
was sensitive from a childhood cracked rib, and when I'd be
exposed to anything I was allergic to, it felt like I had a knitting
needle being shoved into my chest. Being on the left side of
my chest, it tended to make me neurotic. Apparently, a fairly
large percentage of people thinking they're having a heart
attack are having an attack of costochondritis, and half the time,
the emergency room MDs don't recognize it, and wind up
poisoning the hell out of them.

Nowadays, about all that sets it off is exposure to large dogs,
and some chemical that businesses use to treat carpets.
I think it's an anti-mildew agent, but I haven't managed to identify it.
But it's amazingly sensitive as an allergic reaction, I start feeling
the pain long before I know a dog is around, even from people's
lawn, if they have a large dog.  And, within a minute of being on
a treated carpet, I feel the pain start up, and beat a quick retreat.

Regards,

Ken Green

Ken Green