BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 13:46:34 -0500
Maura wrote -
<<Get real.  Once built, the fields will NEVER be reclaimed.  All the crap
that goes along with Wal-Mart development -- including long-term public
investments like water and sewer lines -- guarantee it, regardless if the
box carries Wal-Mart's name or not.>>

Sorry; I didn't say they WOULD be reclaimed - just that they could.
Everything from swamps (Environmentalists in CT are reclaiming swampland -
piping, drainage ditches etc being removed - to bring back the fish & birds to
eat the mosquitoes that eat the people) to our own historic treasures.
You are right - the long term public investments in time, money and
infrastructure can not be reclaimed. I don't know very communities willing or
capable of financing involved.

Here's a suggestion:  What if any construction project over a certain square
footage were required to leave a site the way they found it? Sort of like
replanting trees after strip mining or burying the landfills? Of couse this
would have to go for the those bigbox industrial parks as well as the
Wallmarts, shopping malls and theme parks.

Candy B