BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Candice Brashears <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 15:00:33 EST
To Rudy and everyone else,
I must apologize for making it seem that reversing the bigbox retailer impact
on the environment was simply replanting the grass.  I was neglectful of the
scene Rudy described.  It truly hurts a community when the parking lots,
traffic patterns and familiar landmarks disappear for sake of cheap socks and
bathtowels.
I am reminded of a friend's tiny little cottage overlooking Long Island Sound.
The place was purchased years before by her parents - the kids all grew up
with this wonderful quaint little place to come to in summer.
"Rich folk" got wind of the place, bought a strip of land in front of theirs -
filled some of it in and built a house too.  A BIG house . My friend no longer
sees the ocean from their little cottage - they see into the new neighbor's
laundry room. They listen not to the ocean waves, but to the neighbors TV at
night.  Other BIG houses popped up around them.
A small community cannot see itself anymore if it is hidden behind the
bigboxes.

Candy B