BLIND-DEV Archives

Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI

BLIND-DEV@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jeanine Worden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BLIND-DEV: Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 08:51:00 -0500
Carrie and Joel:

I'll attempt to answer your questions as well as I can.  I think you will find
that different guide dog handlers have different approaches to caring for
their dogs.  I can tell you mine.  You might contact some of the schools
that train guide dogs to get information on your subject as well.  They
may have written materials.

I feed my dog one of two brands of high quality dog food recommended
by my school.  She eats on a schedule because, to be blunt, that helps
her to relieve on schedule.  I feed her a large sized dog biscuit in the
morning and a serving of dog food in the evening.  My schoold
recommends giving the dog 2 kelp tablets daily to prevent against
thyroid problems.   This may be unique to my school.  We stay away
from too many treats because it is important to keep your guide dog in
good condition -- you don't want her gaining too much weight.

I was taught to groom my guide dog every day.  For me, grooming
consists of brushing and combing her to keep her coat clean and to
remove the dander and loose hair.  Since my guide dog goes with me
everywhere in public, she gets a bath every time the doggie odor
becomes apparent -- which is somewhere between once every 4 - 6
weeks, depending on the season.

My dog sees a veterinarian at least twice per year, and she is kept
current on her vaccinations.

I give my dog between 20 minutes to 30 minutes of exercise (play time)
every day.  She actually gets quite a bit of exercise walking everywhere
with me, but it is important for her to be able to have some time when
she can sniff and play like every other dog.

I have a publication I can email you on access rights for guide dogs if
that would prove helpful.  Just send me an email at

Jeanine