From:
Hans Kylberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Sep 1998 20:27:02 +0200
There was a notice in the newspaper the other day, citing a journal
named "Kosmos" (probably american):
"Fruit eating animals prefer figs if there is a choice between several
fruits. American scientists have analysed figs from Belise, Uganda and
Indonesia, and found that they contain three times as much calcium as
other "fruits" (figs are not fruits but a cluster of flowers).
Probably birds need calcium for their eggs and vertebrates need it for
building up their skeletal bones."

I wonder if the original article separated birds and vertebrates. Also
it's new to me that figs are higher in calcium than other fruits.
I wonder if it was wild figs that where analysed?
My dictionary verifies that figs are flower clusters and also tells that
the "seeds" are in fact little nuts.

- Hans