RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Stefan Joest <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 May 1999 13:09:32 +0200
Hi Martha,

you asked:
>I'm very interested in the subject of seasonality.  Has
>anybody here experimented with only eating foods in
>season?

No planned experiments but I watched my eating patterns over the time.
And in fact they seem to follow the (european) season of food although
this covers a wide geographical range of countries: Spain, France,
Italy, Germany mostly.

I'll give some examples:
- whenever I feel a need for eggs it's mostly in the time from
  April to May where the birds are producing eggs. For the rest of the
  year I mostly do not even   t h i n k   of eggs. And I overlook the
  possible remainings of April that are lying in my kitchen.

- I've enjoyed oranges for some months now - they were in season
  in Spain. Now that the season comes to its end my need seems to
  fade. I'm eating lesser and lesser oranges.

Similar patterns showed up with other fruits/vegetables that have
sharply defined seasons in Europe, e.g. broccoli, celery, apples,
water melons, etc.

OTOH I can enjoy Durian, Jackfruit and other tropical fruits the whole
year long - they do not even make me cold any longer if I consume them
during a hard european winter. Quite the opposite: Durian heated me up
in winter time, it was incredible!

Best instinctive wishes,

Stefan

E-Mail: [log in to unmask]