RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 May 1999 10:43:46 +0200

> Hi everybody,
>
> Jean-Louis Tu:
> >1. (Sweet) fruit was not necessarily available all year long.
> >Fruits ripen only seasonally. In today's world, when none
> >of the local fruits are in season, one can import fruits from
> >Asia, Africa, from the Southern hemisphere... One can
> >cultivate fruits that originate from other continents.

Martha:
> I'm very interested in the subject of seasonality.  Has
> anybody here experimented with only eating foods in
> season?  Fruits, nuts and vegetables are obvious examples,
> but also things such as blossoms, grains & eggs? Maybe
> even meat from migrating fish, birds, & beasts, or hibernating
> animals?  If so, what were your experiences?  Do you think
> our bodies are adapted in such a way to find these foods
> more beneficial at certain times of year than at others?

I find that tropical fruits taste on average better than local fruits,
so I guess eating foods in season is more satisfying when you live in
SE Asia than in Northern Europe... However, when one lives in
temperate climates, it makes sense to eat more meat in winter and more
fruit in summer, as animal foods are warming.

> All this speculation may be all wet if we are mainly adapted
> to the tropics, where, (I'm guessing) the seasons are not so
> pronounced and things are generally more available all year.

Mangoes (for ex.) are certainly not available all year. The season of
a given tropical fruit usually lasts at most a few months.

--Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>