RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ingrid Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 May 1999 01:50:56 -0700
>> >Don't lions (resp. cows) eat meat (resp. grass) for years and every
>> >week in big amounts?
>
>Jean-Claude:
>
>> I don't know much about carnivorous animals but i doubt that they will
stay
>> on one species, my cat doesn't, there is days for mice, and days for
>> birds...
>Jean-louis
>Sure. For humans, there are days for beef, others for chicken, etc.
>
>The current trend of instincto, with which I disagree, is to totally
>exclude meat from the diet on certain weeks. "Meat" is not a single
>food, but a food category (like "tubers", or "fruits"). Why then not
>exclude fruits on certain weeks? I think Burger justifies his position
>on the grounds that, for pre-fire man, meat wasn't available every day
>and/or humans weren't attracted to meat every day (since wild animals
>are much leaner than domesticated ones). While these arguments sound
>logical, they overlook two facts:
>
>1. Hunting in today's "primitive" societies is efficient enough to
>   provide meat on most days. According to Loren Cordain, animal foods
>   represent on average 65% of their diet by calories. (Note that
>   animal foods are usually cooked in these societies.)

The fact that actual hunter gatherers cooks their  meat might be the
reason
why they tried to get it everyday (denatured molecules are quite
addictive
in themselves because not totally satisfying to the cells needs)

>2. Humans prefer fattier portions (organs, bone marrow, portions
>   with a lot of subcutaneous fat...)

I have my days for the fat and days for the lean meat!
A raw fat have a very strong stop for me , making them inedible if not
needed ( pasty and unpleasant flavor). and a delicacy when needed . A
cooked
one is easely overeaten
In wild animals (except in very cold aeras and just before the winter)
the
fat is very limited in quantity at least way more limited than the
muscles>
Those days when i need fat , i am disappointed  that there is not more
.( it
makes me want to domesticate the deers so i can stuff them)
>In addition, Burger's arguments on meat also apply to fruit:
>
>1. (Sweet) fruit was not necessarily available all year long. Fruits
>   ripen only seasonally. In today's world, when none of the local
>   fruits are in season, one can import fruits from Asia, Africa, from
>   the Southern hemisphere... One can cultivate fruits that originate
>   from other continents. Primitive humans couldn't do that, and may
>   not have eaten sweet fruit every day.
>
>2. Even if fruit is available, it doesn't mean one is attracted
>   to it every day: "stops" are stronger with wild fruits than with
>   cultivated ones. From Jane Goodall's book, it looks like chimps
>   were much more attracted to the (domestic) bananas they were given
>   than to their natural diet.

For sure a close to the wild fruit like raspberries doesn't attract me
every
day despite the overavalability of them in my garden.( the season of
them in
the domesticated form is longer than in the wild) A totally  wild and
abondant  fruit like salmon berries with a short season (1 month) is
making
my fare almost every day ( they have an unpleasant stop) they are easy
catch too. I wish deers were as easy.!
i thinks it is important to be suspicious of overavailability of
domestic
fruits or meats or tubers or seeds or whatever... it was the point of
my
post we are not meant to eat any kind of food for long period of times
in a
daily basis. It is obvious to me that domestication , made foods too
easy
for
a truely instinctive regulation of eating and too boring for a truely
pleasurable experience. The same quality in the food that give an
unpleasant
instinctive stop , give an intense pleasurable yes.
I did lot of hiking in the mountains in the past and the same trail
could be
an enjoyable experience when full of stamina and desire to get to the
top ,
or a painfull experience  when tired and  full of wishes to be
allready at
the top. Getting a lift or going by car to the top will compare to
domestification or cooking in my eyes . i might get there more
certainly or
quicker but i surely miss something in the process.

Jean-claude