RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Axel Makaroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 12:59:36 -0300
At 08:26 23/03/1999 -0800, you wrote:

Of course, the long-term record of raw vegan as a maintenance diet is
>pretty dismal. As discussed previously on this list, many such long-term
>success stories are frauds, some show signs of serious mental illness,
>some are physically unhealthy (emaciation, fatigue). There are a few
>credible examples of less than 100% raw long-term vegans; strict 100%
>raw veganism is rare in the long-term.

axel:

hi, tom. i have wanted to post this question for quite a while (note that i
am no longer emotionally attached to raw or fruitarian or whatever, just
think is valid whatever anybody does if it works for their health. so this
is just my plain curiosity):

how do you guys know that the long term track of raw vegan is what you say?
how many long-term raw vegans are there in the united states, or in the
world? does anybody really knows? what percentage of them report their
state of health to other people? when you say raw vegan does not work in
the long term for many: how many are this many, and what percentage of the
total world-wide raw vegans represents? i have the persistent feeling, (and
i had it two years ago when i first joined here, but correct me if i am
wrong) that some of you guys seem to talk about a limited experience, like
the raw vegans you know or have heard of, etc. who really knows the number
of raw vegans in the world? there can be valid scientific/empirical health
reasons not to be raw vegan, but i do not know about this often-repeated
"bad track for long term raw vegans". please inform me about just how many
people do you know that are long term vegans, and if there is some
approximate idea of how many can be out there.

and also, as usual, if we look at a bigger picture, like exercise,
emotional health, being outdoors, sunbathing, fullfilling social life,
spiritual life for those that want it, etc, and also consider the combined
long term effects of all this, IMHO, it is just IMPOSSIBLE to tell what is
best in general. some people eat raw vegan, do not exercise, are unhappy,
etc. some are happy and raw vegan. some are meat eaters. some raw and many
cooked. of these two groups, some exercise, some do not. some are more
peaceful than others. some eat more organic than others. some eat some
cooked food, and do better, but of these, some exercise and some do not,
etc. so, it sort of hard to tell, donīt you think? ;)

regards,
             axel makaroff