RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 01:08:10 +0100
Hi Axel,

Axel Makaroff schrieb:
> At 09:43 22/03/1999 +0100, jean-louis wrote:
> >
> > -suppose we want to feed everyone with 90 kg pork/year. Then, we need
> >about 1 animal for every two humans, that is 30 million pigs. Allowing
> >each of these a space of about 20 square meters, the total occupied
> >surface would be 600 sq. km, that is one thousandth of the country's
> >total surface.
>
> axel:
>
> sound pretty efficient, but:
>
> what makes you think that a pig can feed exclusively on this surface? for
> how long? what would he be eating? most likely there will be some kind of
> foodstuff that has to be brought from outside those 20 square meters,
> right? this would mean that the pig is actually using up way more land that
> this environmentally-friendly 20 square meters.

<SNIP>

Your argument are basically sound in my opinion..provided that
every meat eater generously allows animals the real amount
of space they need to be happy. But you forgot to mention
the effect of all the farts and burps (never mind the faeces)
of these multimillions of farm animals on the environment. And
I'm not joking either.

Alan