RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jan 1999 18:22:55 -0600
Christopher, your review was more entertaining than the article itself.  If
you are looking for a second career, I understand that "Just an Apple" has
job openings for  experienced raw pundits as yourself. ;-)

Christopher:
The author, one Chris Nordic, dishes up an entertaining blend of snideness
and grand fatherly indulgence.

Peter:
Which is about as much seriousness the subject matter really deserves.
Stark-raving lunacy has become to raw food advocacy what blatant hypocrisy
is to right-wing Christianity. ;-)

Christopher:
The participants "are mostly outsiders -- post-hippies, ex-skinheads,
cancer re coverers, Woody Harrison -- and the energy is classic sub cult."

Peter:
Woody recently opened his vegetarian O2 bar in Hollywood.  I expect I will
be dropping by there soon to shoot some breeze with the local subculture
and get myself a hit of oxygen. :)

Christopher:
Raw Food List co-owner Dave Karat rates a photo, but Nordic, in his
nastiest barb, finds Karat reminiscent of Una bomber Theodore Kaczynski.

Peter:
Here, Norris is pretty much on the mark, though, as long as Dave is fed his
daily RAF, he is clearly more mellow than his brother in spirit. ;-)

Christopher:
The star of the piece is "the unit-named Julian o," erstwhile owner of the
Raw restaurant in San Francisco, whom I met several times before he moved
to Hollywood in an undisguised quest for personal celebrity.

Peter:
Even in a culture where obsession with narcissistic celebrity voyeurism has
become the refuge for the lost soul, Juliano's drive for fame and adoration
seems rather heartless and calculating and not the least endearing.

Christopher:
The photogenic 25-year-old ("striking in the manner of rock singers and indie
film stars") features in three photos, including the now-customary
nude-in-a-fruit-tree shot.

Peter:
To be plagiarized is the ultimate flatter for a plagiarist, n'est-ce pas? :)

Christopher:
Styling himself a latter day messiah -- "Dude, I'm an instrument and
there's a higher power _working through me_!" -- Juliano claims to get by
on two hours' sleep a night; has anyone else had that experience on raw foods?

Peter:
Juliano's alleged channeling the higher powers from above, his lack of
sleep, his over the top self-confidence and over-zealous drive and ambition
are all typical signs of hypomania or Bipolar II illness and have nothing
to do with his dietary habits.  With Ron Schmid and Sally Fallon as notable
exceptions, in my estimation most promoters of raw food diets are bipolar
making it at least one condition the promised, raw cure-all diet cannot
overcome.;-)

J-L:
What a gastronomic figure.

Peter:
Yes, indeed. "Survival" sold 300.000 copies over a period of 20 years.  If
"Nature's First Law" had sold that many in just 1/10th that time, it would
have been on top of the best seller lists for months and the "authors"
would have been forced to hold a "Milli Vanelli" type press conference
admitting to their plagiarism - luckily for them their book has not yet
made it over the 300 mark. ;-)

Peter:
Comment:  That is 199,770 above my own estimate.

J-L:
Was it 299,700?

Peter:
Yes - and thanks for exposing my lack of math skills. ;-)

J-L:
You should get more sleep, Peter.

Peter:
Were it only that simple to cure my dyslexia. ;-)

Best, Peter