From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 15:49:21 +0200
Todd wrote:

>....  However, I do think
>that D'Adamo is the only one who has claimed to test a large
>number of lectins and list them according to which blood they
>agglutinate.  That is, although I think it is recognized that
>lectins in general may agglutinate blood of one type but not
>another, D'Adamo's tests have not been replicated.  To my
>knowledge.

>The point is not that all lectins are bad.  If you tried to avoid
>them you would starve.  D'Adamo's point is that only *some*
>lectins will be targeted by your body's immune system.

As I understand the aggglutination tests, they are performed
by the whole lectins to blood probes. This isn't the case in humans.
They first have to pass the gut walls, before reaching blood.
That leaves the quesion open, how can it be,
that whole proteins enter into the bloodstream.
At last the digesting enzymes split up the
amino-acids from food proteins to polypeptides, then dipeptides,
then amino acids, which are take up.

So the main question seems to be: what can happen to the

gut/intestine
walls that makes them permeable to lectins (instead of amino acids).

At last, even proteins that call frequent allergy symptoms
(like wheat gluten), cause allergies only on a limited percentage
of the society (some claim up to 15%). But the rest of us remains
untouched by these proteins.

Are there any good explanations what could make the gut
let whole proteins
enter into the bloodstream?

regards

Amadeus