From:
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 15:19:44 -1000
>>jean-claude:
>The basic health problem that i had and still have is that i have
>unfonctionning adrenal and thyroid glandsdue to an autoimmune process. This
>is considered a life time condition that can't be reverse accordingly to the
>presently known medecine science.

Are you bummed that instincto has not allieviated your condition?
Autoimmune difficulties are said to be relieved by an instinctive regimen,
no?

>There is nothing strict about instinctive diet because the choices of
>varieties of food are way greater than any neolithic diet present or past

The regime is strict in that food quality is such a central issue. And in
that no food should be denatured. And that only a raw food which tastes
good (preferably great) can be eaten. There is plenty that is strict about
instincto, methinks.

>So instinctive eating is certainly less strict than the normal occidental
>diet.based on wheat dairies and beef (for americans). or pork (for some
>europeans).

"Strict" to me means according to firm rules/definitions. Whether or not an
instincto eats a wider variety of food items than someone eating normally
probably has more to do with how much money they are willing to spend on
imported foods, and/or whether they are willing to take the time to hunt
and gather, or garden and raise animals.

>And instinctive eating is not a " diet " in the first place because there is
>NO intellectual regulation and  there is  no prescribed  recomendation of
>what one should eaT

Sure it's a diet (which simply means what one eats). There is plenty of
prescription in which foods are allowed. And there are food combining
recommendations. And even a "rule" about not eating more than 10% animal
foods if I understand the latest. Just because of the "rule" to eat only
according to sensory attraction is a central theme in instincto hardly
means it s not a diet, nor that is has no prescriptions.

>That is precisely the point of instinctive eating to ASK signs from the body
>not  to DECIDE from ideas about what it need.

And probably functions quite adequetely with simply denatured foods as
well. An instincto denies themselves and their offspring the chance to be
nourished on heated paleofoods because of theory (or Guy-Claude's whim),
not instinct. That ignores signs from the body IMO. Our 15 month old
daughter has taught us this first hand. She gets clear stops on veggies
(raw or cooked) and animal foods (raw or cooked). She will not overeat
dates either (which both her mother and I can easily do). She sometimes
prefers raw beef (or marrow or carrots or whatever) and sometimes prefers
cooked. She will sometimes start with raw and switch to cooked, or the
reverse, and/or return to the raw after eating some cooked. Other times she
has clear preference for one or the other. She could care less about
instincto theory but sure knows how to find her pleasure. Including
breastmilk.

>Something that is ever fluctuacting!

Instinctos are often found to eat too many sweet fruits and too few veggies
unless they neocortically change their diet. Some apparently also take
Guy-Claude's word on eating "too much" animal foods (over 10%) and avoiding
raw dairy products. In my instincto experience (about 8 years--5 of those
with salads), the sharp and fluctuating attractions were limited to the
beginning (perhaps improving on metabolic imbalances from my previous SAD
diet). After that only newly found foods were "luminous". And after that I
could eat most anything (raw paleo) with medium pleasure. (Except,
importantly, RAF which I could rarely eat for more than a few days
running.) Yet in time I ended up eating too much fruit, not enough veggies
and RAF. Cooking animal foods (even of low quality) has been great for me.
Same with veggies. Fruit (and avos) is not the staple it was when I was
instincto and I feel I will be much better off in the long term on a
cooked/raw paleo regime than I would be on instincto.

And it is absolutely _great_ socially. Like you, I poo pooed the social
aspects of instincto while practicing it. After opening up a bit with
cooked food I can see how I was fooling myself, or perhaps had simply
forgotten how much pleasure there is in sharing food beyond one's family.

Cheers,
Kirt

Secola  /\  Nieft