NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Carrie L. Micko" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 17:09:29 -0600
Automatic digest processor wrote:
What is acidophilus and what does it do for us?  I am dairy
proteinallergic.  Not
LI.

Lactobacillus acidophilus and l. bifidus are healthy
bacteria found in cultured
foods like yogurt, and I think miso. It is also present in
mother's milk (but
possibly the mother has to have it first). It can be grown
in a rice base and
offered dairy-free. Lactobacillus acidophilus and l. bifidus
are needed for proper
digestion and keeping other bacteria like candida albicans
in balance. Candida is
also needed for digestion, but when Lactobacillus
acidophilus and l. bifidus are
destroyed with antibiotics, stress and other factors,
candida can grow out of
control. When it multiplies, it gives off toxins that can
cause illness. Candida
albicans yeast fungus overgrowth can be a mysterious
illness. Symptoms include
increased food sensitivity (possibly due to leaky gut
syndrom as a result of
candida overgrowth), dizziness, joint pains, foggy thinking,
swelling, itching,
sensitivity to perfumes and chemicals, hormonal imbalances,
nutrient absorbtion
problems, etc. A good book to read about it is, "The Yeast
Connection" (by William
Crook I think) although, while it helps identify the
problem, my 15 year old copy
doesn't offer much help overcoming it. Lots of suggestions
for living with it.
Another rather gross book, but very enlightening as far as
how the digestive tract
works and how to make it better is, "Tissue Cleansing
Through Bowel Management," by
Bernard Jensen D.C., Nutritionist. I don't necessarily
endorse the method he
espouses, but rather the information about how it all works.
Simple water cleansing
is effective. Also a good B-complex (be sure it has biotin
in it) is very helpful
(I recommend Shaklee's B complex). Essential fatty acids are
also necessary.
Arrowood Mills puts out a new one in a dark brown bottle
found in the refrigerated
section of the Natural Foods section of major grocery
chains, and I imagine at
health food stores. I like it in a bottle rather than
capsule because I avoid
animal gelatin capsules. It includes sunflower oil, sesame
oil, pumpkin seed oil,
borage seed oil and others. Changing your diet to whole
foods, high fiber foods
like legumes and lots of fresh greens, fruits and vegetables
also is essential.
After these changes are in effect for a while, Lactobacillus
acidophilus and l.
bifidus can make a come-back, and for me, many sensitivities
have reduced or
disappeared.