NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 12:49:38 -0500

> i never had this problem, and i don't do dairy.

Not everyone with an allergy to one food will develop allergies to
others. That goes for multiple allergies, too. I am allergic to soy
and dairy, but can eat vast quantities of other foods without any
sensitization. My son is quite severely allergic to milk, eggs, and
all nuts. But he can eat as much soy and other foods that he wants. I
believe that each of us with food allergies has a propensity to
become sensitized to some foods but not others. It is the truly
unfortunate (and unusual) case where the number of foods to which one
can become sensitized is large. For the rest of us, it's, thankfully,
a small number of foods.

The reason that I raised the issue is *not* to say that people who
become vegetarians will become allergic to milk, eggs, nuts, soy, or
whatever proteins that they rely on.

Rather, I am stating the general caution that any time you narrow
your diet and concentrate on fewer foods, there is the *possibility*
that one or more of those foods will no longer be "latent" and will
provoke symptoms. If you change your diet and your symptoms become
worse, always suspect the foods for which you have increased
consumption.

Mark Feblowitz