RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Liza May <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 08:59:42 -0500
Copyright and Posting Notice: The parts of the post below which are written
by Liza May are approved for posting on the raw-food email list only.
Contact author for permission to crosspost on any other e-mail list,
newsgroups; bulletin board, or website, or to republish in any way.

Copyright 1999, by LIFEF0RCE, Inc.; all rights reserved.

Hi Jean Louis,

> I think the 1000+ mg/day RDA is the safe level *in the
> context of the Standard American Diet and Lifestyle (SADL?)*: lack of
> sunlight, lack of exercise, presence of phytates (in grains), use of
> salt. I am pretty sure that if one gets enough sunlight, exercise,
> etc. the daily requirement is much lower (e.g. 400 mg), and that dairy
> in not necessary to meet that requirement.

In my opinion, ensuring adequate calcium intake on a daily basis is a
formidable challenge, considering the many factors in our modern lifestyle
which have a negative influence on this critical nutrient. I would rather
advise people to take a more cautious approach, and to assume that many
adverse factors are most likely affecting calcium balance in a negative
way, and to therefore aim for the higher daily amounts that were listed in
my last post.

For example, the following are just a few of the more common conditions
that have a direct impact on calcium balance.

1. People with IBD and other gastrointestinal absorption problems.
2. Impairment of ability to convert vitamin D3 (cholacalciferol - what you
might see as an ingredient on a vitamin pill) to the body's more usable
forms of vitamin D (25-hydroxycholecalciferol and
1,25-dihydroxycholecalciferol), as a result of even mild impaired liver or
kidney function.
3. A chronic long-term process of osteoperosis and tooth decay that could
have started years before the "good" diet is undertaken.
4. Calcium absorption and metabolism are primarily dependent upon hormonal
balance. So
any imbalance, for instance estrogen/progrestreon, or insulin and the other
blood-sugar regulating hormones, or stress or mood-related hormone
imbalances, all could very likely mean a chronic calcium deficiency.
5. Since urinary (and fecal to a lesser degree) excretion is a factor which
is at least as important as calcium intake, maybe even more so, then even
single dietary or lifestyle "indiscretions," such as caffeine, sugars,
alcohol, phosphates, too much fiber (!! - yes - some studies have even
shown that this affects calcium balance. Doesn't make sense to me yet, but
a connection has been shown here), too high a percentage of dietary
protein, and many others I could name - all can have a significant impact
on calcium balance in the body.

> On the other hand, _for people on SADL_, it is safer to recommend
> dairy than to exclude it, since people usually won't eat enough green
> vegetables, etc. to prevent deficiency.

Jean Louis, consider, too, the fact that the green vegetables that most all
of us eat are for the most part very, very low in vital mineral content.

> Most people can tolerate
> moderate amouts of raw cheese, but there are exceptions (like people
> having an allergy condition).

This is true, but it depends on the cheese (the longer the cheese is aged,
the more problematic), and the type of cheese (goat's and sheep's are less
problematic than cow's, for many people). Yogurt, or kefir, are also
alternative sources of dairy for people who may have problems with the
milk.

Calcium balance is a challenge, in my opinion.

Love, Liza

--
[log in to unmask] (Liza May)