RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 30 Aug 1998 22:30:27 -0400
7bit
From:
Liza May <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Roy,

I'm just back from being out of town for a week - catching up on email -
gotta add my speedy two cents to your comment here:

>  perhaps
> this comment was made half in jest, but I do not see any food as inherently
> "evil", or even "good" or "bad".  I think the comment shows some of the fear-
> based thinking around our food choices.

Yes I agree, everything about people and eating seems to have mostly
psychological motivations.

However, that being said, lots of things we put in our mouths definately
make us sick. Some things are also misnamed 'foods' when really they're
not. I think part of what this list is about is trying to figure out
what things are actually nutrients, and what aren't, and how that
differs from one person to the next.

As far as pumpkin seeds go - I have been told by old-fashioned Chinese
people that these seeds are considered especially powerful medicine, to
be eaten judiciously onkly when treating certain conditions (amont them
parasites and certain female hormonal imbalances). Also, it has been my
experience that many people either have a natural repugnance for them,
or feel sick after eating them. The ones I've had experience with are
the green ones that you buy not-fresh in packages or in bulk. I would
wonder whether the oils go rancid when they are left out like this, or
shipped from overseas in the heat, etc etc. Maybe its the rancid oils
that are a  problem, maybe its the variety of pumpkin seed, maybe its
the processing, don't know.

I do know that certain varieties are supposed to have both linoleic and
alpha-linolenic acids in moderate quantities, but which varieties I
don'rt know.

Love, Liza

[log in to unmask] (Liza May)