From:
Rob Lazebnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Nov 1998 00:47:47 EST

I wrote in asking whether any "Power Bar"-type bars are gf.  I received many
answers--thanks to all.  Below is a list of the various bars cited, followed
by direct quotes from the posts.  Power Bars (the brand) themselves are not
GF, although (as noted below), Power Gel may be.

PR BARS:

"I have done a lot of research concerning supplement bars.  The only bars
which I found that were gluten free are PR Bars.  All are gf except granola."

"Most PR Ironman Bars are GF.  I have been eating Chocolate Brownie
and Chocolate Chunk with no problems.  I have called the company and they
stated all except granola and crisp rice flavors are GF.  I have no
problems at all.  I choose these two because they are the few made without
canola oil.  Most others are.  There are a lot of others but most are made
with canola oil which I and most other celiacs have to avoid."

"I am almost sure that IRONMAN bars are GF too as I inquired once, but only
certain flavors."

GENIESOY BARS:

"I called the company and was told they are OK.  I tried one and had no
problem.  It even tasted good."

"Genisoy makes a gf soy protein bar and I think they're fairly good. I called
the company and they said all of their products are gf. I have ordered their
protein powder and am waiting for it. They have a website. www.genisoy.com"

"Genisoy bars are GF and taste better than Power Bars.  I get them at Osco
Drug but are probably in health food stores."

"Also you can eat GENISOY bars which are sold at GNC.  They are GF and
excellent."

BALANCE BARS:

"Balance Bars are GF...don't know if they qualify as a "power" bar, but
they are balanced 40-30-30 and taste pretty good!"

"Balance Bars are GF (confirmed about 6 months ago)."

"I found more than one reference to BALANCE bars as
being G-F.  I don't recall the source, but you could probably search the web
to verify.  I have read the labels of BALANCE bars on a recent shopping trip
and noted that they use soy and also noted nothing on the label that looked
like other grains."

POWER BARS/POWER GEL:

"I know that Power Bars are not GF, but they make a product that is a gel and
is GF.  I would contact the company and ask them.  I believe it is called
POWER GEL and is like flavored toothpaste in a pouch, but it works.  I was in
STOMP for two years and the company manager found the gel for me since I
couldnt do the Power Bars that the rest of the cast could consume for energy."

"The PowerGel product from the makers of Power Bars is also GF."

OTHERS:

"POW! (a new energy bar sold in the UK) contains hemp seed which explains the
drugs issue. Hemp seeds have nothing to do with drugs, however, and they are a
very valuable source of protein and essential fatty acids.
Hemp seed products are now allowed in the USA, so the POW! bar should
be available soon.
I do have an interest in POW! - I have been redesigning their web
page. I am doing the web design purely for interest and payment in
the form of healthy hemp snacks."

"Think Bars (chocolate peanut butter) available at Trader Joes are GF."

"Two of "Zone Perfect" are  gf.  One is Chocolate Almond and Honey Peanut.
Unless maltodextrin is more than sugar.  Those are from Barry Sears, the
chemist who wrote 'The Zone.'"

"Been using some of the bars from Smart Fuel in Burlington VT,they don't
certify
them as GF but went down the ingredients with them, they do not use oats."

"Dr atkins, the low carb diet just came out with a new Advantage bar with
20 grams protein & 2 carbs--it looks gf."