Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 17:29:21 EDT
From:
Adele McHenry Koenen <[log in to unmask]>

After three years diligently feeding myself and my children a glutenfree diet
which we followed in response to the results of a three month elimination
diet, I decided to investigate the biopsy route to try to prove whether it
really made sense for us to be following that diet.  For one month I stuffed
myself with wheat products, and all the while a little voice inside of me
said, "Are you crazy?!" with every bite.  Three days after I began, I was
rewarded with burning pain in my stomach that wouldn't quit.  I steeled
myself not to medicate the pain until the biopsy, using neither OTC nor
homeopathic remedies for fear of destroying the evidence.  Another day later,
the burning diarrhea began, the bloating and bilious misery, while I
maintained a close orbit to the bathroom at home.  Every few days, the pain
and discomfort ramped up a little worse, and I thought I was well on my way
to a positive biopsy.  I was rewarded the day of the biopsy by the worst pain
yet, and floating diarrhea.

I underwent the biopsy, and just heard back that my results are negative.
"Congratulations!  You can eat whatever you like!"  But, I'm not so sure
about that.  I haven't felt this bad since I was back in the pizza biz.  So
my bloodtests and biopsy are negative, and I can just see now how my family
is going to light into me for trying to be treated as if I were a hothouse
flower for all these years.  But I don't think I have a pathological desire
to be "sick", I think I just plain am sick, and I have no idea why all the
tests are negative.  I wish I had put a meter on my toilet paper usage so
that they would have some measurable indicator of my misery.  So now I am in
the position of having people tell me, "Come along dear, you'll just have to
accept the fact that you're normal", when I am actually feeling as sick as a
dog.  And I'm in the process of putting my kids thru these tests and I'm sure
I appear perfectly neurotic.  But the years I ate glutenfree seemed to be the
healthiest of my entire life.

Are there gluten intolerant people out there who don't have celiac?  Any
clarification that might be available would be greatly appreciated.

My son is six and a half, and I have got him eating gluten again.  The rash
he has developed since then is not DH according to the doctor.  But it's a
rash all the same.  Should I just let him eat anything he wants because he's
not getting the diarrhea that he used to?  Or could he have had CD and gone
into remission?

Adele