RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Stefan Joest <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 May 1999 14:52:11 +0200
Hi all,

Mark cited Arnold Ehret...
>"I do not believe that the human body assimilates 'food-value vegetables'
>such as cauliflower, asparagus, turnips, potatoes or cereals in their
>uncooked state.  After a certain beneficial mechanical cleansing of the
>bowels thru these raw foods the one-sided raw-food eater lacks, in fact,
>the most important food substance, and that is grape or fruit sugar,
>unless he eats sufficient fruits."

...and asked for comments. Here are my two pfennigs:

Try to operate your brain on fruit sugar only and you will soon face
the
consequences as were described very detailed by different authors on
this
list. My opinion is: fruitarianism (as indirectly recommended by Ehret
in
the above paragraph) fails because the brain needs   f a t   to
function.
Even if you ate fat only in your diet your body could manufacture
sugars
from the fat (the state of ketosis - paleo people will know it). If
you
try to eat sugar only there's no similar way for your body to
manufacture
fat from the eaten sugars.

Mark:
>As one who is having trouble staying as warm as I would like even in the
>springtime, I would be interested in any reactions to her statement.  My
>first reaction is that if you need dried fruits to "keep from perishing"
>there must be something wrong with the diet.

Dried fruit is second hand food for me except for some healing
purposes.
E.g. if you are lacking calcium you could obtain a lot of it from
dried
figs. In a balanced state however I think it goes "fresh is best" for
vegetable food. With animal food there are differences... ;-)

To stay warm I think the following factors are important:
1) having a normal body weight
2) eating enough dense foods

1) Emaciated people tend to feel cold. This is generally known. The
higher
   your body weight together with a nearly equal body surface the
warmer
   you normally feel.
2) Dense foods are dense vegetables, nuts, seeds, avocados, fish,
eggs,
   carob and meat. Especially animal foods are very warming.
Considering
   the fact, that they were the only available foods in hard winters,
this
   seems to be quite natural.

If someone needs dried fruits to stay warm I suspect this person to
abuse
dried fruits to get a "sugar-high" (abnormally high blood sugar) which
will indeed give you a warming feeling followed by an even deeper hole
of
coldness when the sugar level drops. Doesn't sound healthy.

Warm instinctive regards,

Stefan

E-Mail: [log in to unmask]