NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jill A Sobel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Dec 1998 12:06:01 -0600
I don't want to start World War III, but I am tired of everyone coming
home
from her house sick.  I guess from now on I will have to bring our own
food
when we go there.  But then she will get very upset and insist she doesn't
use
milk or butter.  AARRGGHH!!!

Do any of you have a relative like this?  How did you deal with it?

Kim Sherwood in upstate NY

        * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Kim - both my mother and mother-in-law are like this. I either have
to bring Mikala's entire dinner with me when I eat at their house,
or have them over to mine. This year as I wrote prior, was a
disaster. Way too much off-limits food around, way too much mother's
saying "well I only put a little bit of milk in the meatballs","just
a little bit of butter in the veggies". They just don't understand
and then I am the one up all night with a sick child. Next year I
am having most holiday dinners at my house. My daughter will be 3
and much harder to negoiate with. But whenever I eat at someone
else's house, I always bring an entire meal for Mikala that is "safe"
despite the conflict that follows.

Its hard, I think what I have to do and might be an idea for you too,
is to get some educational pamphlets, or copies of the FAN newsletters
to handout to relatives. It might help to do some education.

Jill