RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Thu, 20 May 1999 08:13:11 -0700
Mark Hovila <[log in to unmask]>:
>I believe it is generally accepted that the ancient Essenes were
>vegetarians, but I don't think a lot of specifics are known.  Nor are any
>specifics known about their esoteric tenets and rituals. The modern Essene
>movement, which I think began with Edmond Bordeaux Szekely in this century,
>has mostly developed its own religious practices and dietary, using the
>limited historical resources as a starting point.

Tom:
The claim that Essenes were vegetarian is actually controversial.
The available credible evidence does not support the claim that they
were strict vegetarians. There were some good discussions on this over
on the sci-veg list; check their archive:

http://www.sci-veg.org    search for keyword: Essene

As for Szekeley, I encourage reading the book, "Strange Tales About
Jesus"
by Per Beskow. Beskow makes a powerful case that the "Essene gospels"
are a forgery by Szekely. Beskow also debunks "The Gospel of the Holy
Twelve," another alleged Essene writing. Folks can read it and make up
their own minds on this issue.

Notes:

1. Re: my use of the word "credible" regarding evidence. Much of the
material presented as being of alleged Essene origin, does not meet
the
standards of authenticity that are required in the world of biblical
scholarship.

2. I'm not interested in arguing with people on this issue. Look at
the
evidence (or lack thereof) and make up your own minds on this issue.

Tom Billings