RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 17 May 1999 05:56:11 -0700
Jean-Louis Tu wrote:

> Comparison between domestic and wild animals:
>
> "Conventionally" raised farm animals are often confined in such tiny
> spaces that they can barely move, away from sunlight, are given all
> sorts of drugs, antibiotics, hormones, fed unnatural food (even
> practice cannibalism), are relatively unhealthy, and are subject to a
> lot of stress before they are slaughtered.
>
> Organically raised animals have a lot more space, receive
> homeopathic/phytotherapic treatment when sick but no antibiotics or
> hormones, fed mostly natural food, are relatively healthy. They are
> killed at an early age, but don't mind since they can't think in
> advance about death;

I doubt that when people worry about cruelty to animals, they're
worrying about the creatures premeditating on death and having some
sort of existential crisis. :D

> they don't realize they will be killed by humans,
> and eaten afterwards. Stress is minimized before slaughtering.
>
> Wild herbivores have virtually unlimited space, don't receive any
> medical treatment when sick. They eat natural food but may suffer from
> occasional food shortages. They are relatively healthy. Some of them die
> at an advanced age, but have to live under constant fear of predators,
> who may kill them or inflict them permanent injuries. Killing is
> always preceded by stress.

Unless the food animal in question dies by unknowingly consuming half
a bottle of sleeping pills, I think it's safe to say that all forms of
intentional killing, whether in the slaughterhouse or in the wild, are
stressful.  But "stress" is such a bland word, one we associate with a
bad day at the office or heavy traffic.  When talking about some forms
of slaughter, perhaps "torture" would get the idea across a bit
better.

Carol
(omnivore)