From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Feb 1998 08:56:09 -0500
At 11:04 PM 2/21/1998 Dennis Stephens wrote:

>I didn't have anything specific use in mind with the system I'm going to
build with
>the IBM chip.  I would say it would be used as a family home computer with
an office
>suite, internet connectivity software, and educational software titles.  Your
>comments that suggest that some peripherals may be Intel specific was
extremely
>helpful. If anyone knows of any other peripherals that could possibly have
>compatibility issues with the IBM chip, please contact me here or by e-mail.

Dennis:

The IBM 686L 200+ chip should NOT give you many (if any) problems.
Its Floating Point Unit (math coprocessor) is not on par with a Pentium
however. So if you are playing Quake or doing AutoCad, this CPU will
work but not as quickly.

Build the system. If you don't like it, you can replace it when you can
afford it. (right now, a Pentium 200MMX is $130, wholesale in Miami).
But make sure you get a motherboard that will see you through
foreseeable upgrades. The quality of the motherboard and the RAM
is more important than the CPU, IMHO.

Cordially,

John Chin