From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Apr 1998 14:44:33 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>

>On  2 Apr 98 at 1:12, Michi Imamura wrote:

>> All of these sevices didn't have my specific modem an their
>> database.  I have a Jaton 56Kflex with rockwell chip.  I have tried
>> various modem selections.  None of these servers support a 56K
>> modem.  So I have had to register my modem as a 33.6K.
>
>  This sounds pretty strange to me; I've never had to "register" my
>modem type with an on-line service or ISP.

I think what Michi is referring to is the configuration of his
software package and not actually calling the service to "register"
his modem.

Most communications software has a built-in database of init strings
for all mainstream modems.  And during the installation process, the
software asks the user to pick the modem brand and model from a list,
it then installs the appropriate init string.  This is part of what
makes software more "user-friendly" because the end user doesn't need
to fool with cryptic initialization codes.... most of the time.

What Michi needs to do, is get out the manual which came with his
modem and find the section that deals with initialization strings.
Then he will need to locate the modem configuration area of the comm
software and manually plug in the suggested string from his modem
manual.