From:
"S.B. Feldman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jul 1999 09:02:22 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< I'd advise you very strongly against DL-phenylalanine as
 it's 50% D-phenylalanine which has no biological value and may be poisonous.
 As for taking L-phenylalanine by itself- I'd be very uncomfortable with
 that - just look at the damage it does people with the genetic disease
 phenylketonuria. >>
1- every organic substance we consume is a d/l mixture --- that is some
'right' and some 'left' handed molecules and the d form is useless to us
Earthlings, but there is no reason to believe it is toxic, just useless.
2-phenylalanine does damage to phenylketonurics because they can not
metabolize it because of a pathway that is busted; everything does damage to
those that can not handle it appropriately. Just because some people may be
prone to water intoxication, for instance, does not mean that normal systems
can not take water.