From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Sep 1998 08:44:31 -0400
On Wed, 9 Sep 1998 20:47:30 -0400, Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>>> I would in addition propose that some parts were simply left in the
>>> gut, where the intestinal flora will "take care" of it.
>>> But not the friendly ones.
>>    Pure myth.
>>   Mike
>I don't think so, Mike.  The incompletely digested proteins are
>called "polyamines."  They include substances with such charming
>names as cadaverine and putrescine.  They are found in the gut.

>What I don't know, however, is whether a paleo diet significantly
>reduces their time of residence there.
IMO it should be so if it has a high fiber content
(as is should hav
e anyway to be true paleolithic).

>  There is a theory that
>the polyamines are the cause of the link between red meat and
>colon cancer, but it is also possible that the real problem is
>that they stay in the gut too long as a result of digestive
>slowdown caused by other things (like maybe dairy, for instance).
I don't know how/why dairy might slow down the gut passage.
For shure, a lack of fiber does slow down the gut/colon
passage.
And is a cause of common deseases like diverticulitis.
Anybody can easyly see, how much time it takes until
the digested food comes out again in the bowel movement.
Once per day, more often or more seldom.

>Incidentally, cadaverine in the saliva is believed to be one of
>the causes of bad breath.
Not only in the breath, but - of course - also in the stool.
I've a book by Are Waerlandt, where he states that the
bad odor comes from the rem
ainings of the gut bacteria
if they degenerate. He also states that,
in a high meat diet, up to 50% of the stool are
pure bacteria mass.

My sister, who does hydro-colon-therapy in Munich
also stresses very much the need for a healthy
and real symbiont intestinal flora.

regards

Amadeus