From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 17:11:47 -0400
On Sun, 6 Sep 1998 18:43:56 -0400, Ilya <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Amadeus Schmidt wrote:
>> 1 kg of meat is  210 grams of pure protein (medium fat cattle).
>> Our (german) official recommendation is 55g for a 70 kg young male.
>> Would you really assume a 4-time as high protein *need*?
>I was referring to ground beef, which is about 70gm protein/lb....
1 lb is abt. 450 grams, isn't it?
I can't find meat with much less than about 20g protein in 100 gram.
At usda.gov i get for "Beef, ground, extra lean, (approximately 17% fat), raw"
18.7 grams of protein.
You do eat 900 grams of it, then you'll have at least 170 grams of protein.

> So, you might ask,
where do I get my numbers from?
>Various books, articles, newsgroups, especially those that deal
>with sports nutrition. Those tend to be more practical out of
>necessity - any author that recommends lower than needed amounts
>of protein to, say bodybuilders or weightlifters, will be ignored
>rather quickly.
Yes, I do ask. How about some scientific based numbers?
I'm afraid that various book or articles could support only
some specific reason why to support a high protein need.
For example selling expensive amino-acides in pure form or similar things.

>Protein need varies greatly by size, body composition, and
>physical activity. I don't have detailed numbers for general
>population matching those vs. protein intake, so can't say
>how lacking in protein people are.
What would you assume, that the additional protein would be used for?
I can only see that it's used for building up
 tissue.
Usage for the several enzymatic systems has a recycling system.
There are few proteins *lost* from it. Where should they go to?
Some skin cells, a *little* bit in sweat, a little in the stool.

Well... if you gain 100 grams of muscle every day. of course....

>I vary my protein intake from day to day, depending on whether I
>work out or not, etc. I also tend to err on the overeating side, since
>I don't have any kidney problems and am not aware of any reason not
>to overeat a little.
I still can't see any significant protein need increase that workout could
cause - where should it go to? All sweat out?
50 grams of protein sweat out in one workout?

Except that it would be burnt.
In my readings I find that burning proteins is the least desireable
source of energy.
Body *uses* only carbohydrates (and ketones as i learnt).

>> I can't see a sense in consuming exce
ss amounts of unsued protein
>> just for the purpose of getting enough of vitamin b1 or calories.
>That's not why I eat extra protein. I get my B's from food, plus
>I supplement with a wide range of vitamins.
So, why then?

IMHO the normal nutrition , without any supplementation should include
*all* necessary vitamins without any supplementation.

If it doesn't do that, at least I wouldn't call it paleolithic.
Cro-Magnons didn't do it. Australopithecus didn't do it.
But they had a vitamin supply superior  to ours.
If you would need supplements, then you nutrition differs from theirs.
And then you might be eating foodstuff, or compositions of foods items
you were *not* adapted to.

>> BTW I have read that our digestion system can't handle more than
>> 50 to 60 grams of protein in *a single meal*, anyway.
>This is completely incorrect as I have eaten much more than that

>myself. Though, whoever made that statement may have meant something
>like 'can't handle efficiently' or some such. In that they may be
>correct.
Well it wasn't 50 grams, it was 35 grams of protein that can be handled.
This fits to the number of about 65 grams of amino-acids that
build the amino acid pool in the body.
Body can't store - and therefore doesn't need more of it in a
certain time.
Whereas handled means, can be used as protein.

I read a recent post from Todd also mentioning that.
Todds and other's posts assume that excess proteins are converted to
energy , and then used or stored as fat.

I would in addition propose that some parts were simply left in the
gut, where the intestinal flora will "take care" of it.
But not the friendly ones.

Amadeus