NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 09:45:08 -0700
:
: My daughter (milk allergies) is starting preschool next
: month (she is 2 years old). I am wondering if anyone can
: give me advice as to how to prepare her teachers and parents?

Jill -

My daughter is allergic to dairy, eggs, peanuts and walnuts,
and has been attending daycare/preschool since she was a baby.
Her preschool is fairly small, and prepares all of the food for
all of the kids.  They have been extremely observant about
ingredients, calling whenever a new brand is delivered from
the grocery store (and demanding the original brand, if necessary).
They use no peanut at all, and often can make a serving of
something for Alyssa before adding the milk/cheese to it
(shepard's pie, etc).

In addition to a watchful kitchen and teacher, she has a
"medicine bag" containing Benadryl, and her EpiPenJr, along
with an emergency action plan printed in bright colors in the
classroom...  and an extra EpiPen in the office.

And, finally, I send in leftovers for her lunch about once
a week, so if they are having something that's hard to modify,
she can have something safe from home.  I also prepare mini-muffins,
pancakes, french toast, veggie burgers, cupcakes, etc.  without
dairy or eggs, and leave them in the freezer for snacks & breakfasts.
I try to coordinate with other parents prior to birthday parties,
and bring a similar treat for Alyssa.  One mother brought Italian
ices, knowing of Alyssa's allergies (she had been the cook the
year before!).

This has worked very well for us, and it's critical that the
teachers take the whole process seriously.  I've also bought
and donated the School Food Allergy Program from FAN, and shown
each teacher and administrator how to use her EpiPen, while
reviewing the symptoms.

Good luck - it's a bit scary, but with the right education and
the right people, it can work!

Laurie (and Alyssa, 4yo)
(who has to start all over again next year with kindergarten!!!)