BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 23:51:11 -0500
We have dealt with some similar issues on the restoration/reconstruction of
the Aluminaire House, now in Center Islip at  the campus of NYIT.  It was
built in 1931 to demonstrate the use/application of mass-produced industrial
materials  in the construction of affordable housing.  10 years ago when
NYIT started the rescue, I obsessed over saving every shred of original
material  so we could restore it.  But then it was pointed out to me that
the idea of the building was as important as the materials used.  It was a
shiny "machine for living" when first built.  By the time of the
restoration it was a corroded grey corrugated metal shed.  I became
convinced that the "right" thing to do was to restore the idea as much as
the building, so we have allowed (and funded) the use of all new corrugated
aluminum sheets as siding.  It looks great and really captures the essence
of what the architects were trying to do when they built it.  "Modern"
buildings challange our commonlyheld beliefs about what constitutes
preservation.  As the Firesign Theater said way  back inn '69 "Everything
you know is wrong.."
Michael