BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Candice Brashears <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 13:23:17 EST
We have a big sign in Wallingford announcing the Yale Motor Inn.  The sign is
very visible from the Merritt Parkway at one of the exits which leads to "the"
commercial strip.  People get off the highway and "motor in" - & "motor out".
The building has been gone from the site some 15 years now.  Why the sign has
remained so long I don't know.  Funny thing, though:  It has become the
landmark for knowing which exit to take.  Also, it makes the newcomers ask
what it was...answer: Used to be the place the entertainment stars stayed when
playing at the Oakdale Theater (when it was a summer in-the-round theater). It
too has changed - no more round stage & open all year.
The place has apparently been gone long enough now that its sign evokes fond
memories.  Go figure.
Candy B