BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 14:41:34 EST
In a message dated 12/18/98 8:55:14 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Fortunately I was there when the
>  "corrections" first happened and had them flip it back...because the floor
>  told a story of its earlier past, besides which, once you start flipping
>  stones over, where do you stop.

Jim,

I'm happy you provide your insight on floor flipping here. From my end of the
spectrum I was handed a list of questions by the CM which originated, I was
told, from the architect's office. The list of questions I considered
speculative, which suited me fine, and did not go into means & methods, which
I think was why I was being handed the list at this point in the project. The
mock-up flipping was one of the tasks on the list. My immediate reaction was
to say that flipping the stone would not result in an improved floor and that
everyone could save money by crossing this off the list, that is, if my
judgement of experience had weight to carry the argument. The CM's return was
that since it was on the list we might as well satisfy the curious in their
education, but I think actually in the end it was too small an item to worry
over. I think the CM was nervous to discuss the list and that they were not
always very sure of what they were being asked to provide. I can imagine if
the list had been handed to someone that did not have an inkling of the
original intent of discovery (we found ourselves in competition for the work
with engineering firms for what essentially was a professional ladder carry
excercise). I was of the impression that the intent was to see if the
underside could be presented without chipped edges, as had occured over years
to the topside. Simply the act of removing the stone to flip it would chip the
underside edges. I fully agree that the footworn aspect of a stone floor is
historic fabric and should be retained, even as with a patina, and am pleased
that the floor was not flipped. I will advise, though, that I am of the
opinion that most *floor restoration* contractors would want to diamond hone
the floor to smooth surface as the footworn areas present more of a problem
for future maintenance, which is what many of them market toward. We had this
particular problem with a Post Office on LI and it was difficult to convince
the customer that the mirror shine provided by the smooth talking floor guy
was not as appropriate as the dull mock-up of the foul mouthed old guy that at
least left us footworn impressions.

][<en