RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 3 May 1999 09:44:23 -0400
From:
Paul Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Jean-Louis,

>I think that enzymes don't have more than a minor importance in human
>health (already discussed on this list)

We don't want to rehash old threads, but I disagree with this
statement.
I know everything is relative, and one could also say for example that
certain trace minerals such as  molybdenum only have a minor
importance
in human health, but if Mo was removed 100% from a body the person
would
die. The same with enzymes - we could not live without them.

I might be inclined rather to agree that the importance of enzymes
compared to other factors in human diet and health may be greatly
exaggerated by some raw-food types (while at the same time there may
be
some usually unrecognized truth there as well). In any case, many
people
who take digestive enzymes definitely do report less gas and bloating
and
often improved energy and fewer allergies which tells me something
(and
this is aside from and only indirectly related to the issue of
metabolic
enzymes in the body). If a person feels better with raw foods, that is
much less clear-cut as to how enzymes are beneficial, since other
factors
besides more enzymes are involved.

I hope this is not just semantics (what is 'minor'?).

Paul