RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Lynton Blair <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 21:50:33 GMT
Jovanka:
>Now,  I am rather  interested to help my friends with various surviving
>row-food recipes for emergency situation.
>war games ..., bombing, no gas, no electricity, no cooking

Anyone in such circustances has my deepest sympathy.  I wish I could help
more, but here is what I learned from Ann Wigmore's writings that worked for me:

1       grass
She describes in one book how when she was young (in Lithuania) there was a
time when war conditions prevailed.  The family hid, and at night her
grandmother went out and foraged for grass (ie green, not dried/hay etc).
She would bring this back and everyone would chew on it.  The idea is to get
the juice out, not to swallow the fibre - which is difficult to do anyway.
The family survived.

There is a suggestion that all grasses are non-poisonous, but I think you
will have to try it out and use discretion.  I does taste strange, but you
will find I think that it gives you a lift in energy, and should sustain
you.  I hope there is good grass there for you to eat.

For those with poor or no teeth, if you have a hand operated meat mincer
(meat grinder) or grain grinder (I have not tried it with devices which have
stone grinders though) you can mince/grind the leaves, and either put the
pulp in your mouth and extract the juice (this is not as easy as chewing the
grass in some ways because of all the small bits of fibre that are rather
objectionable - at least the grass comes into a 'wad' that is easy to spit
out) or put the grindings into a clean cloth and squeeze the juice out into
a bowl or cup.

>Personally, I prefer sprouts.

Again, she espescially recommends
        buckwheat greens ( grown on soil for seven days) (can swallow the
whole sprout)
        sunflower seed greens (presumably the same) (can swallow the whole
sprout)
        wheatgrass juice (similar to the grass idea above, but grown from
wheat, barley or any convenient cereal.  Taste varies (for example, I really
dislike the taste of the leaves of wheat, but find those from barley
reasonably palletable).
Note that the sprouts of all the above are far more nutritious when green.

Best wishes,
Lynton