RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Liza May <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Dec 1998 11:58:27 -0500
Leah Calo wrote:

> I am having a hard time with my friends and family since I became a
> raw-foodist 3 months ago.  My mother thinks I'm anorexic (definitely
> NOT), my friends think I am mad, and I am not sure and confused.  I > > keep
> on hearing questions about where am I getting B-12 from? What about
> amino acids? Am I getting enough protein, fats and calcium?
>
> What do I do? Where can I go to get all this information/these > answers.

Hi Leah,

Sorry you've not been able to get too much feedback from this list yet -
I think because of the time of year, people are mayb a little busier
than other times. Normally you'd find loads of helpful advice and
information here - and once it's January the list'll be more active, I
think.

Anyway, I just want to CONGRARTULATE you on your great decision to eat
well, take care of your health, guts to withstand all the flack from
everyone around you, and your perseverance so far in trusting your own
thinking!! That's really really _great_!!

There are loads of people on this list who have eaten various
comninations of raw - cooked - vegan - fruit - raw animal foods - etc
etc etc - lots and lots of experience and ideas. This list is a goldmine
of experience and useful information. If you can get into the archives,
I'd recommend a real thorough investigation of what's there - you'll
probably find stories of lots of other people, with lots of the same
questions and issues. The archives are at:

http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/raw-food.html

This next site, due to open within the next couple of months, will be by
far the most complete, comprehensive, thorough, and fascinating site on
the web, covering raw-foodism and every possible issue and question you
might have. There you'll find scientific articles, personal stories,
humour pieces, book reviews, loads of useful links, essays, helpful
advice, just chock full of really great info.

http://www.beyondveg.com

You mentioned the B12 issue as a concern - here's a great article,
written originally as a post to this list, but you'll find it at the
site above, also ...

http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind9711&L=raw-food&P=R5619

and

http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind9711&L=raw-food&P=R5871

Hope those sites provide some starting points for some useful reading.
Now I have to run - to my own big family birthday party celebration, and
then out to chop down a Christmas tree that we found in the woods near
our house, then to a potato-latke candle-lighting Hannukah party at the
neighbors, then to make some secret follow-up calls to some of the 200
guests invited to a surprise 50th birthday party we're throwing the day
after christmas, then to shop at the local 24-hour supermarket for
ingredients for healthy raw salad dressings, and crock-pot stew
ingredients, to teach how to cook to a client tomorrow. By that time it
should be about 2 am ugh.

Anyway - congratulations again, and good luck handling the new diet
through this holiday season! This is the trickiest time of the year for
eating -

Love, Liza

[log in to unmask] (Liza May)