RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 1996 12:43:09 -0700
From:
Stuart Smith <[log in to unmask]>
> question is what do you eat for a source of concentrated calories?  Nuts, I
> imagine and avocado.  Any other sources that maybe aren't so high in fat?
>  Right now I eat about 70% raw because when I've gone months on an 85 - 90%
>  diet I lost weight (now weigh 110 at 5'4") and got very frequent colds.   It
> seems in principle all raw would be best but in practice it doesn't seem to
> work for me.  Any thoughts?

What is it exactly that you are eating?  I don't worry about concentrated
calories or any other nutrient in particular, I just try to eat a) when and
only when I'm hungry  b) as much raw or with as little processing as possible.
 In practice, I tend to eat a lot of fruit, usually earlier in the day, and a
lot of breads, because I love bread so much.  I usually manage a good intake
of raw vegetables like carrots and salads with lots of leafy greens.  Nuts and
avocado have their place in my diet but not much of one.  I love nuts, but
find that if I have them around a lot, I gorge myself.  So I don't buy them
too often.  I like avocado too, but I haven't learned many creative ways to
use it past spreading on bread, and it goes bad so fast you have to use it all
at once, so again, I don't buy them often.  Some people will tell you that
your frequent colds are a result of your body detoxifying as a result of being
on a raw food diet.  Others may say otherwise, as others are aught to doing.
Listen to your body.  Filter out your cultural programming, and then do what
your body says.

Good luck.