RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 1997 09:17:45 -0800 (PST)
From:
Sol Lederman <[log in to unmask]>
Peter and Bob,

I appreciate the dialog that the two of you are having regarding my concerns.
I joined the group several weeks ago and was discouraged at first at all the
mud slinging on the list plus the fact that noone seemed to take much interest
in my sincere (re)exploration of raw foods.

Chet Day and Tom Billings were the only two people, up to now, that have been
an excellent source of support.

In the next week or so I'll post a well thought out document of my symptoms,
current diet, future diet and other questions. Hopefully we can all dialogue
on that.

> >Apples are not low GI foods; they are medium.

> The glycemic rating of apples is 38. For them to be medium they would
> have to be in the 50 range or more.

> Sol:

I self-test fairly high on several candida checklists. I'm not doing any
fruit for now. Does anyone have experience with the herb stevia or with
licorice? Is a discussion of herbs outside of the realm of raw foods?

> Peter:
> >>That is in my opinion impossible if you want to stay vegan. But check

> Bob:
> >Not true.  Nuts, green concentrates (dried wheat- barley-grass,
> >spirulina, algae, juiced whole greens), legumes, and bee pollen all
> >have way more protein than anyone needs, and some of the above have
> >more than most animal foods.  (Of course you can argue that bee pollen
> >doesn't belog in the vegan category.)

> For purposes of staying in the zone (30% of calories from protein) the
> above choices are not really options. The amounts of algae or legumes
> you would have to eat would make you sick. The algaes & greens are
> quite high but still lower than RAF's, and legumes which also contain a
> lot of fiber and carbohydrates contain even less protein. Bee pollen
> contains quite a lot more carbohydrate than protein. Regarding protein
> requirements read the Peter Lemon Study that I sent you for submission
> to the M2M.

Actually, the Zone doesn't prescribe a percent of calories from protein but
rather a fixed amount based on lean body mass and activity level. The Zone
tells me to eat 112 grams per day of protein. That's way too much unless I
eat meat/dairy/tofu and I'm not interested in that much protein anyway if my
body doesn't need it and if it hurts my body to process/get rid of it.

So, I'm looking instead at cutting down on high glycemic and starchy carbs.
I may be struggling with several things here (blood sugar? gluten intolerance?
other food allergies/intolerances? candida? food combining problems?)

What I'm doing for now is an anti-candida diet and slow herbal cleanse while
eating a fair amount of raw foods, some steamed veggies and a bit of chicken
and fish.

> Peter:
> >>Zoners use nuts to get their fats - not proteins - as there is not
> >>that much protein in nuts.

> Bob:
> >Almonds, for example, are 14% protein, 12% carbos, and 74% fat.  Not
> >exactly low-protein.

> If you compare them to celery 14% is a fair amount. But if you compare
> them to RAF's they are very poor sorces of protein.

> Sol:

> Peter:
> >>In my opinion very few have.

> Bob:
> >In my opinion, quite the opposite. Many diabetics have been able to go
> >off insulin altogether. Fasting and low food intake in general are
> >integral parts of proper nutrition; raw foods per se are not enough
> >(or,rather, too much).You might find some tubers (yams, for example)
> >helpful too.

> How much of the above is your opinion and how much do you know for a
> fact? Apart from yourself how many do you know who has overcome blood
> sugar problems by fasting and a low calorie raw, vegan diet?

> Peter:
> >>should not make much of a difference.

> Bob:
> >I would go further and say that wheat is probably not a fit food for
> >human consumption; the fully sprouted wheatgrass, maybe.

> For some less than others. Blood type & genetic background seems to
> make quite a difference.

> Peter:
> >>vinegar. I tend to think that the apple cider vinegar is OK.

> Bob:
> >I no longer use it.  I'm starting to agree with the late T.C. Fry that
> >it's toxic.

> Did you ever feel any bad effects from using it?

Paul and Patricia Bragg as well as Gabriel Cousens support it.

Thanks everybody.

Sol