From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 13:42:37 -0400

The listowners have decided to institute a new policy regarding self-
promotion on the list.  Our policy has always been that vendors of
gluten-free or celiac-related products should not use this e-mail list
to promote their own products.  For the most part, this has not changed.
However, many celiacs would find it helpful to see an occasional
reminders from vendors about their GF products.  Therefore we've
decided to allow clearly-marked ads on the list, one day per month.
Note that this policy is always subject change according to new or
amended rules from our host, St. Johns University.

Here are the rules:

  1. Ads may only be posted on the list on the FIRST day of each month.
     (Depending on where you live, or if an ad has to be resubmitted due
     to some problem, it might actually be received on the second day of
     the month by some readers.)

  2. Ads must be clearly marked with "AD: " at the beginning of the
     Subject field, so that subscribers who prefer not to read them
     can easily skip them.

  3. Vendors may only send in one ad per month, and only on the first
     day of the month.  There will be NO exceptions, period.  Any vendor
     violating this rule will lose their ad priveleges.

  4. Ads must be limited to 100 lines or less, including the signature
     block.  Again, there will be NO exceptions.

  5. Ads must be relevant to celiac disease or the gluten-free diet.

  6. The same ad cannot be sent, month after month, unchanged to the
     list.  The content must be changed periodically.  Vendors should
     use the ads as a way of highlighting different products or services
     each month, or perhaps by offering special prices or sale items
     each month.

  7. No vendor will have to pay to post an ad.  Neither the list nor the
     listowners have ever accepted any sort of payment, and we don't
     intend to start now.

Ads which fail to meet these guidelines will be rejected.  Vendors can
make changes and resubmit, but if the ad fails to make it to the list on
the same day or the next day as a result of the delay, then it will have
to wait until the next month.

It is our belief that this will help celiacs to learn more about the
quality and variety of GF products available for them.  We hope that
most of you will find "Ad Day" to be a welcome addition to the list.
Hopefully, those of you who don't like the idea will be able to easily
avoid the ads without much extra effort.

This policy goes into effect immediately.  That means vendors who move
quickly can place an ad on the list on May 1st; otherwise they can take
their time and place their first ad on June 1st.

For the listowners,

|      Jim Lyles               Home: [log in to unmask]      |
| Holly, Michigan, USA    Work: [log in to unmask] |