Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 05:04:49 +1300
From:

Dear List Members,
  I must apologise for taking so long to summarise the many responses I've
received. Life has been very hectic with a four month old baby, a
pre-schooler, as well as two overseas guests who decided to escape a
Canadian winter, for our warmer summer climate. We've had the pleasure of
showing them around the area.
  I asked for advice on whether it was possible that my exclusively
breastfed baby was having a coeliac reaction to the gluten in my diet (I am
not coeliac but my mother is). What follows is a rather lengthy summary of
the many responses I received. Hopefully, someone else may find this
information valuable.
  Thankyou EVERYONE who responded to my question. There are some very kind
and empathetic people on this listserv!
  Incidentally, the day after I stopped eating my regular bowl of porridge
for breakfast, my daughter's facial rash (which I forgot to even mention in
my original post) improved dramatically (I still ingest a small amount of
gluten some days). Her offensive smelling gas ceased when I gave up
chocolate, a few days later. And her bowel motions have just returned from
green coloured and mucousy, to a delightfully normal yellow with granules!
Things are looking up!
  Cheers! from Jenny in New Zealand
SUMMARY:

*I nursed three children...I recall the memory well, just as you described
it. Two of my three were diagnosed with CD.

*I would use extreme caution (with diet) if there is a celiac in the family.

*My last three children have been celiac but didn't seem to have a problem
while nursing although I was not GF. However, all celiacs seem to have
different degrees of sensitivity.

*My son's condition worsened after I stopped breastfeeding , so maybe
gluten containing breast milk is better than none at all.

*My friend had to go GF when her baby was a few months old. The baby was
also allergic to eggs, peanuts and milk, but has outgrown this. She is now
two and hasn't had a biopsy yet, but has had a blood test (after eating
gluten for three weeks), which came back negative even though she has
diarrhoea.

*I would say most definately. I also think that dairy was a problem with my
son, and had to give up breastfeeding as he wasn't gaining weight.

*With my son there were two culprits: bovine protein (any dairy or beef),
and wheat. Either of these in his mother's diet caused reactions for him.
Do not jump to the conclusion it's celiac. Consider the possibilities,
experiment, and systematically make diet changes.

*Don't forget that many celiacs are allergic to milk.

*I think experts claim that it's not possible to get gluten through breast
milk, but who knows...my mother thought I got a skin rash when she ate
grains. That assumption later turned out to be very correct.

*First check for milk protein allergy

*My support group member whose infant has celiac is living proof that
gluten passes through the breast milk.

*I am sure the gluten you ingest goes to your baby...your baby is probably
very sensitive. Also be careful with milk and beef protein products. If you
decide to give other kinds of milk to baby it could make things worse.

*This seems unlikely but probably can't be completely discounted...I would
say it is near 100% certain as possible that GLUTEN itself is not reaching
baby in your milk. What can't be excluded completely (if you have a leaky
gut) is that gliadin from the breakdown of gluten (gluten is insoluble,
gliadins are not) might POSSIBLY manage to cross into your breast milk.
This requires two failures in your natural system as not only will you need
a leaky gut to get gliadins into your bloodstream, but you will also need a
mechanism to get these large molecules into the milk. My mum had seven of
us (all breastfed) and most of us suffered what you are describing at some
time or other. None of us seven are coeliacs.

*One of the moms in our group said her infant had digestive problems when
she ate gluten and he was officially diagnosed at age two...If one set of
proteins can pass through into the breast milk, why not another?

*I had a similar experience with my daughter who was eventually diagnosed
at 16 months, I had a heck of a time nursing her because she would throw it
all up. She also had bad bowel movements. I finally put her on formula and
the throwing up stopped.

*It has been clearly established that bioactive and significant amounts of
protein and peptides are taken up from the gut. It is, therefore, not
surprising that the same proteins can be measured in mother's milk.

*My daughter would react if I ate gluten. I have a friend whose celiac baby
definately reacted to gluten in her breast milk. It sounds like a foremilk/
hindmilk imbalance though...if baby doesn't nurse quite as long to get the
fatty enzyme rich hindmilk, this will give her gas and mucousy stools.

*I had celiac as a baby and had the same symptoms as your daughter is
having. Is her stomach bloated?

*When my child was nursing exclusively he threw up all the time. I saw a
pediatric allergist who had me do diet elimination. Turned out if I ate
eggs he threw up...he is the only one of my children who has blunted villi
now.