RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 08:49:35 +0100
Hi Alan,

JL:
> > [Sorry for my delayed response, but I have been away for one week (in
> > Münster, Germany). BTW, I visited two large libraries, but couldn't
> > find Franz Konz's book.

I realize I should have said "bookstores" instead of "libraries": sorry.

Alan:
> Yes..and you are claiming that rennin is not needed at all. So you
> must also be claiming that most Africans (indigenous black
> Africans), who certainly produce enough trypsin and pepsin (they
> couldn't survive otherwise) have no problem with milk at all.

Well, they certainly have a problem with lactose, which by itself is a
good reason not to drink more than very moderate quantities of milk (I
am not talking about other forms of dairy). As for the rennin, I think
I prefer to leave the discussion here, until I learn more about the
subject or see a study comparing the absorption rate of calcium from
milk in indigenous Africans to that in Scandinavians.

Alan:
> there is also the age old NH argument that milk is severely deficient
> in iron (and that feeding an infant cows milk is asking for
> trouble).

I think most of us agree that mother's milk is better than cow's milk
for many reasons, but adults getting iron from other sources (e.g. red
meat) have no risk of deficiencies. Of course, there is an age old NH
belief that meat is toxic, but iron can be found in plants as well
(although in less bioavailable form).

--Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>